From the book:On this, the first of January of the year 1851, the nineteenth century has reached its midway term, and many of us who shared its youth have already warn-ings which tell us that it has outworn us. We put our grizzled heads together, we older ones, and we talk of the great days that we have known; but we find that when it is with our children that we talk it is a hard matter to make them understand. We and our fathers before us lived much the same life, but they with their railway trains and their steamboats belong to a diffe-rent age. It is true that we can put history-books into their hands, and they can read from them of our weary struggle of two and twenty years with that great and evil man. They can learn how Freedom fled from the whole broad continent, and how Nelson's blood was shed, and Pitt's noble heart was broken in striving that she should not pass us for ever to take refuge with our brothers across the Atlantic. All this they can read, with the date of this treaty or that battle, but I do not know where they are to read of ourselves, of the folk we were, and the lives we led, and how the world seemed to our eyes when they were young as theirs are now.
- RODNEY STONE
- CHAPTER I. FRIAR’S OAK.
- CHAPTER II. THE WALKER OF CLIFFE ROYAL.
- CHAPTER III. THE PLAY-ACTRESS OF ANSTEY CROSS.
- CHAPTER IV. THE PEACE OF AMIENS.
- CHAPTER V. BUCK TREGELLIS.
- CHAPTER VI. ON THE THRESHOLD.
- CHAPTER VII. THE HOPE OF ENGLAND.
- CHAPTER VIII. THE BRIGHTON ROAD.
- CHAPTER IX. WATIER’S.
- CHAPTER X. THE MEN OF THE RING.
- CHAPTER XI. THE FIGHT IN THE COACH-HOUSE.
- CHAPTER XII. THE COFFEE-ROOM OF FLADONG’S.
- CHAPTER XIII. LORD NELSON.
- CHAPTER XIV. ON THE ROAD.
- CHAPTER XV. FOUL PLAY.
- CHAPTER XVI. CRAWLEY DOWNS.
- CHAPTER XVII. THE RING-SIDE.
- CHAPTER XVIII. THE SMITH’S LAST BATTLE.
- CHAPTER XIX. CLIFFE ROYAL.
- CHAPTER XX. LORD AVON.
- CHAPTER XXI. THE VALET’S STORY.
- CHAPTER XXII. THE END.
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
- by Christopher M. Bishop
- Data mining
- by I. H. Witten
- The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
- by Various
- CK-12 Chemistry
- by Various
- Concept Development Studies in Chemistry
- by John Hutchinson
- An Introduction to Chemistry - Atoms First
- by Mark Bishop
- Microsoft Word - How to Use Advanced Algebra II.doc
- by Jonathan Emmons
- Advanced Algebra II: Activities and Homework
- by Kenny Felder
- The Sun Who Lost His Way
- Tania is a Detective
- by Kanika G
- Java 3D Programming
- by Daniel Selman
- The Java EE 6 Tutorial
- by Oracle Corporation