Free

Nooks and Corners of Old New York

By Charles Hemstreet
Free
Book Description
Table of Contents
  • Nooks & Corners
    • of
  • Old New York
    • By
    • Charles Hemftreet
      • Illustrated
      • By
    • Illustrated
    • By
    • E. C. Peixotto
      • New York
        • Charles Scribner's Sons
        • MDCCCCV
        • COPYRIGHT, 1899
        • NEW YORK
      • Charles Scribner's Sons
      • MDCCCCV
      • COPYRIGHT, 1899
      • NEW YORK
    • New York
      • Charles Scribner's Sons
      • MDCCCCV
      • COPYRIGHT, 1899
      • NEW YORK
    • Charles Scribner's Sons
    • MDCCCCV
    • COPYRIGHT, 1899
    • NEW YORK
    • INTRODUCTORY NOTE
    • LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS
    • NOOKS AND CORNERS
    • OF OLD NEW YORK
    • I
      • THE SITE OF FORT AMSTERDAM,
        • BUILT IN 1626.
        • WITHIN THE FORTIFICATIONS
        • WAS ERECTED THE FIRST
        • SUBSTANTIAL CHURCH EDIFICE
        • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN.
        • IN 1787 THE FORT
        • WAS DEMOLISHED
        • AND THE GOVERNMENT HOUSE
        • BUILT UPON THIS SITE
        • 1636      1897
        • ON THIS SITE STOOD THE "STADHUIS"
        • OF NEW AMSTERDAM——ERECTED 1636
        • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE IN LOVING MEMORY
        • OF THE FIRST DUTCH SETTLERS BY THE
        • HOLLAND DAMES OF THE NEW
        • NETHERLANDS AND THE
        • KNIGHTS OF THE LEGION OF THE CROWN
        • LAVINIA
        • KONIGIN
        • TO COMMEMORATE THE GALLANT AND PATRIOTIC
        • ACT OF MARINUS WILLETT IN HERE SEIZING
        • JUNE 6, 1775, FROM THE BRITISH FORCES THE
        • MUSKETS WITH WHICH HE ARMED HIS
        • TROOPS. THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY
        • THE SOCIETY OF THE SONS OF THE
        • REVOLUTION, NEW YORK, NOV. 12, 1892
        • THE SITE OF THE
        • FIRST DUTCH HOUSE OF ENTERTAINMENT
        • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN
        • LATER THE SITE OF THE OLD "STADT HUYS"
        • OR CITY HALL
        • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE BY
        • THE HOLLAND SOCIETY OF NEW YORK
        • SEPTEMBER, 1890
        • ON THIS SITE
        • WILLIAM BRADFORD
        • APPOINTED
        • PUBLIC PRINTER
        • APRIL 10, A. D. 1693
        • ESTABLISHED THE FIRST
        • PRINTING PRESS
        • IN THE
        • COLONY OF NEW YORK
        • ERECTED BY THE
        • NEW YORK
        • HISTORICAL SOCIETY
        • APRIL 10, A. D. 1893
        • IN COMMEMORATION OF
        • THE 200TH ANNIVERSARY
        • OF THE INTRODUCTION
        • OF PRINTING IN
        • NEW YORK
        • HERE STOOD
        • THE MIDDLE DUTCH CHURCH
        • DEDICATED A. D. 1729
        • MADE A BRITISH MILITARY PRISON 1776
        • RESTORED 1790
        • OCCUPIED AS THE UNITED STATES POST-OFFICE
        • 1845-1875
        • TAKEN DOWN 1882
        • "GOLDEN HILL"
        • HERE, JAN. 18, 1770
        • THE FIGHT TOOK PLACE BETWEEN THE
        • "SONS OF LIBERTY" AND THE
        • BRITISH REGULARS, 16TH FOOT
        • FIRST BLOODSHED IN THE
        • WAR OF THE REVOLUTION
        • ON THIS SITE IN THE
        • OLD SHAKESPEARE TAVERN
        • WAS ORGANIZED
        • THE SEVENTH REGIMENT
        • NATIONAL GUARD, S. N. Y.
        • AUG. 25, 1824
        • ON THE COMMON OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK,
        • NEAR WHERE THIS BUILDING NOW STANDS, THERE
        • STOOD FROM 1766 TO 1776 A LIBERTY POLE
        • ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE THE REPEAL OF THE
        • STAMP ACT. IT WAS REPEATEDLY DESTROYED BY
        • THE VIOLENCE OF THE TORIES AND AS REPEATEDLY
        • REPLACED BY THE SONS OF LIBERTY, WHO ORGANIZED
        • A CONSTANT WATCH AND GUARD. IN ITS
        • DEFENCE THE FIRST MARTYR BLOOD OF THE AMERICAN
        • REVOLUTION WAS SHED ON JAN. 18, 1770.
        • NEAR THIS SPOT IN THE PRESENCE OF
        • GEN. GEORGE WASHINGTON
        • THE DECLARATION OF
        • INDEPENDENCE
        • WAS READ AND PUBLISHED
        • TO THE
        • AMERICAN ARMY
        • JULY 9TH, 1776
        • THE FIRST
        • PRESIDENTIAL MANSION
        • NO. 1 CHERRY STREET
        • OCCUPIED BY
        • GEORGE WASHINGTON
        • FROM APRIL 23, 1789
        • TO FEBRUARY 23, 1790
        • ERECTED BY THE
        • MARY WASHINGTON COLONIAL CHAPTER, D.A.R.
        • APRIL 30, 1899
      • BUILT IN 1626.
      • WITHIN THE FORTIFICATIONS
      • WAS ERECTED THE FIRST
      • SUBSTANTIAL CHURCH EDIFICE
      • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN.
      • IN 1787 THE FORT
      • WAS DEMOLISHED
      • AND THE GOVERNMENT HOUSE
      • BUILT UPON THIS SITE
      • 1636      1897
      • ON THIS SITE STOOD THE "STADHUIS"
      • OF NEW AMSTERDAM——ERECTED 1636
      • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE IN LOVING MEMORY
      • OF THE FIRST DUTCH SETTLERS BY THE
      • HOLLAND DAMES OF THE NEW
      • NETHERLANDS AND THE
      • KNIGHTS OF THE LEGION OF THE CROWN
      • LAVINIA
      • KONIGIN
      • TO COMMEMORATE THE GALLANT AND PATRIOTIC
      • ACT OF MARINUS WILLETT IN HERE SEIZING
      • JUNE 6, 1775, FROM THE BRITISH FORCES THE
      • MUSKETS WITH WHICH HE ARMED HIS
      • TROOPS. THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY
      • THE SOCIETY OF THE SONS OF THE
      • REVOLUTION, NEW YORK, NOV. 12, 1892
      • THE SITE OF THE
      • FIRST DUTCH HOUSE OF ENTERTAINMENT
      • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN
      • LATER THE SITE OF THE OLD "STADT HUYS"
      • OR CITY HALL
      • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE BY
      • THE HOLLAND SOCIETY OF NEW YORK
      • SEPTEMBER, 1890
      • ON THIS SITE
      • WILLIAM BRADFORD
      • APPOINTED
      • PUBLIC PRINTER
      • APRIL 10, A. D. 1693
      • ESTABLISHED THE FIRST
      • PRINTING PRESS
      • IN THE
      • COLONY OF NEW YORK
      • ERECTED BY THE
      • NEW YORK
      • HISTORICAL SOCIETY
      • APRIL 10, A. D. 1893
      • IN COMMEMORATION OF
      • THE 200TH ANNIVERSARY
      • OF THE INTRODUCTION
      • OF PRINTING IN
      • NEW YORK
      • HERE STOOD
      • THE MIDDLE DUTCH CHURCH
      • DEDICATED A. D. 1729
      • MADE A BRITISH MILITARY PRISON 1776
      • RESTORED 1790
      • OCCUPIED AS THE UNITED STATES POST-OFFICE
      • 1845-1875
      • TAKEN DOWN 1882
      • "GOLDEN HILL"
      • HERE, JAN. 18, 1770
      • THE FIGHT TOOK PLACE BETWEEN THE
      • "SONS OF LIBERTY" AND THE
      • BRITISH REGULARS, 16TH FOOT
      • FIRST BLOODSHED IN THE
      • WAR OF THE REVOLUTION
      • ON THIS SITE IN THE
      • OLD SHAKESPEARE TAVERN
      • WAS ORGANIZED
      • THE SEVENTH REGIMENT
      • NATIONAL GUARD, S. N. Y.
      • AUG. 25, 1824
      • ON THE COMMON OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK,
      • NEAR WHERE THIS BUILDING NOW STANDS, THERE
      • STOOD FROM 1766 TO 1776 A LIBERTY POLE
      • ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE THE REPEAL OF THE
      • STAMP ACT. IT WAS REPEATEDLY DESTROYED BY
      • THE VIOLENCE OF THE TORIES AND AS REPEATEDLY
      • REPLACED BY THE SONS OF LIBERTY, WHO ORGANIZED
      • A CONSTANT WATCH AND GUARD. IN ITS
      • DEFENCE THE FIRST MARTYR BLOOD OF THE AMERICAN
      • REVOLUTION WAS SHED ON JAN. 18, 1770.
      • NEAR THIS SPOT IN THE PRESENCE OF
      • GEN. GEORGE WASHINGTON
      • THE DECLARATION OF
      • INDEPENDENCE
      • WAS READ AND PUBLISHED
      • TO THE
      • AMERICAN ARMY
      • JULY 9TH, 1776
      • THE FIRST
      • PRESIDENTIAL MANSION
      • NO. 1 CHERRY STREET
      • OCCUPIED BY
      • GEORGE WASHINGTON
      • FROM APRIL 23, 1789
      • TO FEBRUARY 23, 1790
      • ERECTED BY THE
      • MARY WASHINGTON COLONIAL CHAPTER, D.A.R.
      • APRIL 30, 1899
    • THE SITE OF FORT AMSTERDAM,
      • BUILT IN 1626.
      • WITHIN THE FORTIFICATIONS
      • WAS ERECTED THE FIRST
      • SUBSTANTIAL CHURCH EDIFICE
      • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN.
      • IN 1787 THE FORT
      • WAS DEMOLISHED
      • AND THE GOVERNMENT HOUSE
      • BUILT UPON THIS SITE
      • 1636      1897
      • ON THIS SITE STOOD THE "STADHUIS"
      • OF NEW AMSTERDAM——ERECTED 1636
      • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE IN LOVING MEMORY
      • OF THE FIRST DUTCH SETTLERS BY THE
      • HOLLAND DAMES OF THE NEW
      • NETHERLANDS AND THE
      • KNIGHTS OF THE LEGION OF THE CROWN
      • LAVINIA
      • KONIGIN
      • TO COMMEMORATE THE GALLANT AND PATRIOTIC
      • ACT OF MARINUS WILLETT IN HERE SEIZING
      • JUNE 6, 1775, FROM THE BRITISH FORCES THE
      • MUSKETS WITH WHICH HE ARMED HIS
      • TROOPS. THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY
      • THE SOCIETY OF THE SONS OF THE
      • REVOLUTION, NEW YORK, NOV. 12, 1892
      • THE SITE OF THE
      • FIRST DUTCH HOUSE OF ENTERTAINMENT
      • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN
      • LATER THE SITE OF THE OLD "STADT HUYS"
      • OR CITY HALL
      • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE BY
      • THE HOLLAND SOCIETY OF NEW YORK
      • SEPTEMBER, 1890
      • ON THIS SITE
      • WILLIAM BRADFORD
      • APPOINTED
      • PUBLIC PRINTER
      • APRIL 10, A. D. 1693
      • ESTABLISHED THE FIRST
      • PRINTING PRESS
      • IN THE
      • COLONY OF NEW YORK
      • ERECTED BY THE
      • NEW YORK
      • HISTORICAL SOCIETY
      • APRIL 10, A. D. 1893
      • IN COMMEMORATION OF
      • THE 200TH ANNIVERSARY
      • OF THE INTRODUCTION
      • OF PRINTING IN
      • NEW YORK
      • HERE STOOD
      • THE MIDDLE DUTCH CHURCH
      • DEDICATED A. D. 1729
      • MADE A BRITISH MILITARY PRISON 1776
      • RESTORED 1790
      • OCCUPIED AS THE UNITED STATES POST-OFFICE
      • 1845-1875
      • TAKEN DOWN 1882
      • "GOLDEN HILL"
      • HERE, JAN. 18, 1770
      • THE FIGHT TOOK PLACE BETWEEN THE
      • "SONS OF LIBERTY" AND THE
      • BRITISH REGULARS, 16TH FOOT
      • FIRST BLOODSHED IN THE
      • WAR OF THE REVOLUTION
      • ON THIS SITE IN THE
      • OLD SHAKESPEARE TAVERN
      • WAS ORGANIZED
      • THE SEVENTH REGIMENT
      • NATIONAL GUARD, S. N. Y.
      • AUG. 25, 1824
      • ON THE COMMON OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK,
      • NEAR WHERE THIS BUILDING NOW STANDS, THERE
      • STOOD FROM 1766 TO 1776 A LIBERTY POLE
      • ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE THE REPEAL OF THE
      • STAMP ACT. IT WAS REPEATEDLY DESTROYED BY
      • THE VIOLENCE OF THE TORIES AND AS REPEATEDLY
      • REPLACED BY THE SONS OF LIBERTY, WHO ORGANIZED
      • A CONSTANT WATCH AND GUARD. IN ITS
      • DEFENCE THE FIRST MARTYR BLOOD OF THE AMERICAN
      • REVOLUTION WAS SHED ON JAN. 18, 1770.
      • NEAR THIS SPOT IN THE PRESENCE OF
      • GEN. GEORGE WASHINGTON
      • THE DECLARATION OF
      • INDEPENDENCE
      • WAS READ AND PUBLISHED
      • TO THE
      • AMERICAN ARMY
      • JULY 9TH, 1776
      • THE FIRST
      • PRESIDENTIAL MANSION
      • NO. 1 CHERRY STREET
      • OCCUPIED BY
      • GEORGE WASHINGTON
      • FROM APRIL 23, 1789
      • TO FEBRUARY 23, 1790
      • ERECTED BY THE
      • MARY WASHINGTON COLONIAL CHAPTER, D.A.R.
      • APRIL 30, 1899
    • BUILT IN 1626.
    • WITHIN THE FORTIFICATIONS
    • WAS ERECTED THE FIRST
    • SUBSTANTIAL CHURCH EDIFICE
    • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN.
    • IN 1787 THE FORT
    • WAS DEMOLISHED
    • AND THE GOVERNMENT HOUSE
    • BUILT UPON THIS SITE
    • 1636      1897
    • ON THIS SITE STOOD THE "STADHUIS"
    • OF NEW AMSTERDAM——ERECTED 1636
    • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE IN LOVING MEMORY
    • OF THE FIRST DUTCH SETTLERS BY THE
    • HOLLAND DAMES OF THE NEW
    • NETHERLANDS AND THE
    • KNIGHTS OF THE LEGION OF THE CROWN
    • LAVINIA
    • KONIGIN
    • TO COMMEMORATE THE GALLANT AND PATRIOTIC
    • ACT OF MARINUS WILLETT IN HERE SEIZING
    • JUNE 6, 1775, FROM THE BRITISH FORCES THE
    • MUSKETS WITH WHICH HE ARMED HIS
    • TROOPS. THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY
    • THE SOCIETY OF THE SONS OF THE
    • REVOLUTION, NEW YORK, NOV. 12, 1892
    • THE SITE OF THE
    • FIRST DUTCH HOUSE OF ENTERTAINMENT
    • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN
    • LATER THE SITE OF THE OLD "STADT HUYS"
    • OR CITY HALL
    • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE BY
    • THE HOLLAND SOCIETY OF NEW YORK
    • SEPTEMBER, 1890
    • ON THIS SITE
    • WILLIAM BRADFORD
    • APPOINTED
    • PUBLIC PRINTER
    • APRIL 10, A. D. 1693
    • ESTABLISHED THE FIRST
    • PRINTING PRESS
    • IN THE
    • COLONY OF NEW YORK
    • ERECTED BY THE
    • NEW YORK
    • HISTORICAL SOCIETY
    • APRIL 10, A. D. 1893
    • IN COMMEMORATION OF
    • THE 200TH ANNIVERSARY
    • OF THE INTRODUCTION
    • OF PRINTING IN
    • NEW YORK
    • HERE STOOD
    • THE MIDDLE DUTCH CHURCH
    • DEDICATED A. D. 1729
    • MADE A BRITISH MILITARY PRISON 1776
    • RESTORED 1790
    • OCCUPIED AS THE UNITED STATES POST-OFFICE
    • 1845-1875
    • TAKEN DOWN 1882
    • "GOLDEN HILL"
    • HERE, JAN. 18, 1770
    • THE FIGHT TOOK PLACE BETWEEN THE
    • "SONS OF LIBERTY" AND THE
    • BRITISH REGULARS, 16TH FOOT
    • FIRST BLOODSHED IN THE
    • WAR OF THE REVOLUTION
    • ON THIS SITE IN THE
    • OLD SHAKESPEARE TAVERN
    • WAS ORGANIZED
    • THE SEVENTH REGIMENT
    • NATIONAL GUARD, S. N. Y.
    • AUG. 25, 1824
    • ON THE COMMON OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK,
    • NEAR WHERE THIS BUILDING NOW STANDS, THERE
    • STOOD FROM 1766 TO 1776 A LIBERTY POLE
    • ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE THE REPEAL OF THE
    • STAMP ACT. IT WAS REPEATEDLY DESTROYED BY
    • THE VIOLENCE OF THE TORIES AND AS REPEATEDLY
    • REPLACED BY THE SONS OF LIBERTY, WHO ORGANIZED
    • A CONSTANT WATCH AND GUARD. IN ITS
    • DEFENCE THE FIRST MARTYR BLOOD OF THE AMERICAN
    • REVOLUTION WAS SHED ON JAN. 18, 1770.
    • NEAR THIS SPOT IN THE PRESENCE OF
    • GEN. GEORGE WASHINGTON
    • THE DECLARATION OF
    • INDEPENDENCE
    • WAS READ AND PUBLISHED
    • TO THE
    • AMERICAN ARMY
    • JULY 9TH, 1776
    • THE FIRST
    • PRESIDENTIAL MANSION
    • NO. 1 CHERRY STREET
    • OCCUPIED BY
    • GEORGE WASHINGTON
    • FROM APRIL 23, 1789
    • TO FEBRUARY 23, 1790
    • ERECTED BY THE
    • MARY WASHINGTON COLONIAL CHAPTER, D.A.R.
    • APRIL 30, 1899
    • II
    • II
      • THIS TABLET MARKS THE SITE OF THE
        • FIRST HABITATIONS OF WHITE MEN
        • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN
        • ADRIAN BLOCK
        • COMMANDER OF THE "TIGER"
        • ERECTED HERE FOUR HOUSES OR HUTS
        • AFTER HIS VESSEL WAS BURNED
        • NOVEMBER, 1613
        • HE BUILT THE RESTLESS, THE FIRST VESSEL
        • MADE BY EUROPEANS IN THIS COUNTRY
        • THE RESTLESS WAS LAUNCHED
        • IN THE SPRING OF 1614
        • W. C.
        • HEAR . LYES . THE . BODY
        • OF . RICHARD . CHVRCH
        • ER . SON . OF . WILLIA
        • M . CHVRCHER . WHO .
        • DIED . THE . 5 OF . APRIL
        • 1681 . OF . AGE 5 YEARS
        • AND . 5 . MONTHS
        • HERE LIES
        • DEPOSITED THE BODY OF
        • JAMES LEESON,
        • WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE ON
        • THE 28TH DAY OF SEPTEMBER, 1794,
        • AGED 38 YEARS.
        • IN MEMORY OF
        • MICHAEL CRESAP
        • FIRST CAPTAIN OF THE
        • RIFLE BATTALIONS
        • AND SON OF COLONEL THOMAS CRESAP
        • WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE
        • OCT. 18, A. D. 1775.
        • THE SITE OF
        • LIEUT. GOVE. DE LANCEY'S HOUSE,
        • LATER THE CITY HOTEL.
        • IT WAS HERE THAT THE NON-IMPORTATION
        • AGREEMENT, IN OPPOSITION TO THE STAMP
        • ACT, WAS SIGNED, OCT. 15TH, 1766. THE
        • TAVERN HAD MANY PROPRIETORS BY WHOSE
        • NAMES IT WAS SUCCESSIVELY CALLED. IT
        • WAS ALSO KNOWN AS THE PROVINCE ARMS, THE
        • CITY ARMS AND BURNS COFFEE HOUSE OR TAVERN.
        • TO MARK THE LANDING PLACE OF
        • GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON,
        • JUNE 25, 1775,
        • ON HIS WAY TO CAMBRIDGE
        • TO COMMAND
        • THE AMERICAN ARMY.
      • FIRST HABITATIONS OF WHITE MEN
      • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN
      • ADRIAN BLOCK
      • COMMANDER OF THE "TIGER"
      • ERECTED HERE FOUR HOUSES OR HUTS
      • AFTER HIS VESSEL WAS BURNED
      • NOVEMBER, 1613
      • HE BUILT THE RESTLESS, THE FIRST VESSEL
      • MADE BY EUROPEANS IN THIS COUNTRY
      • THE RESTLESS WAS LAUNCHED
      • IN THE SPRING OF 1614
      • W. C.
      • HEAR . LYES . THE . BODY
      • OF . RICHARD . CHVRCH
      • ER . SON . OF . WILLIA
      • M . CHVRCHER . WHO .
      • DIED . THE . 5 OF . APRIL
      • 1681 . OF . AGE 5 YEARS
      • AND . 5 . MONTHS
      • HERE LIES
      • DEPOSITED THE BODY OF
      • JAMES LEESON,
      • WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE ON
      • THE 28TH DAY OF SEPTEMBER, 1794,
      • AGED 38 YEARS.
      • IN MEMORY OF
      • MICHAEL CRESAP
      • FIRST CAPTAIN OF THE
      • RIFLE BATTALIONS
      • AND SON OF COLONEL THOMAS CRESAP
      • WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE
      • OCT. 18, A. D. 1775.
      • THE SITE OF
      • LIEUT. GOVE. DE LANCEY'S HOUSE,
      • LATER THE CITY HOTEL.
      • IT WAS HERE THAT THE NON-IMPORTATION
      • AGREEMENT, IN OPPOSITION TO THE STAMP
      • ACT, WAS SIGNED, OCT. 15TH, 1766. THE
      • TAVERN HAD MANY PROPRIETORS BY WHOSE
      • NAMES IT WAS SUCCESSIVELY CALLED. IT
      • WAS ALSO KNOWN AS THE PROVINCE ARMS, THE
      • CITY ARMS AND BURNS COFFEE HOUSE OR TAVERN.
      • TO MARK THE LANDING PLACE OF
      • GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON,
      • JUNE 25, 1775,
      • ON HIS WAY TO CAMBRIDGE
      • TO COMMAND
      • THE AMERICAN ARMY.
    • THIS TABLET MARKS THE SITE OF THE
      • FIRST HABITATIONS OF WHITE MEN
      • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN
      • ADRIAN BLOCK
      • COMMANDER OF THE "TIGER"
      • ERECTED HERE FOUR HOUSES OR HUTS
      • AFTER HIS VESSEL WAS BURNED
      • NOVEMBER, 1613
      • HE BUILT THE RESTLESS, THE FIRST VESSEL
      • MADE BY EUROPEANS IN THIS COUNTRY
      • THE RESTLESS WAS LAUNCHED
      • IN THE SPRING OF 1614
      • W. C.
      • HEAR . LYES . THE . BODY
      • OF . RICHARD . CHVRCH
      • ER . SON . OF . WILLIA
      • M . CHVRCHER . WHO .
      • DIED . THE . 5 OF . APRIL
      • 1681 . OF . AGE 5 YEARS
      • AND . 5 . MONTHS
      • HERE LIES
      • DEPOSITED THE BODY OF
      • JAMES LEESON,
      • WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE ON
      • THE 28TH DAY OF SEPTEMBER, 1794,
      • AGED 38 YEARS.
      • IN MEMORY OF
      • MICHAEL CRESAP
      • FIRST CAPTAIN OF THE
      • RIFLE BATTALIONS
      • AND SON OF COLONEL THOMAS CRESAP
      • WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE
      • OCT. 18, A. D. 1775.
      • THE SITE OF
      • LIEUT. GOVE. DE LANCEY'S HOUSE,
      • LATER THE CITY HOTEL.
      • IT WAS HERE THAT THE NON-IMPORTATION
      • AGREEMENT, IN OPPOSITION TO THE STAMP
      • ACT, WAS SIGNED, OCT. 15TH, 1766. THE
      • TAVERN HAD MANY PROPRIETORS BY WHOSE
      • NAMES IT WAS SUCCESSIVELY CALLED. IT
      • WAS ALSO KNOWN AS THE PROVINCE ARMS, THE
      • CITY ARMS AND BURNS COFFEE HOUSE OR TAVERN.
      • TO MARK THE LANDING PLACE OF
      • GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON,
      • JUNE 25, 1775,
      • ON HIS WAY TO CAMBRIDGE
      • TO COMMAND
      • THE AMERICAN ARMY.
    • FIRST HABITATIONS OF WHITE MEN
    • ON THE ISLAND OF MANHATTAN
    • ADRIAN BLOCK
    • COMMANDER OF THE "TIGER"
    • ERECTED HERE FOUR HOUSES OR HUTS
    • AFTER HIS VESSEL WAS BURNED
    • NOVEMBER, 1613
    • HE BUILT THE RESTLESS, THE FIRST VESSEL
    • MADE BY EUROPEANS IN THIS COUNTRY
    • THE RESTLESS WAS LAUNCHED
    • IN THE SPRING OF 1614
    • W. C.
    • HEAR . LYES . THE . BODY
    • OF . RICHARD . CHVRCH
    • ER . SON . OF . WILLIA
    • M . CHVRCHER . WHO .
    • DIED . THE . 5 OF . APRIL
    • 1681 . OF . AGE 5 YEARS
    • AND . 5 . MONTHS
    • HERE LIES
    • DEPOSITED THE BODY OF
    • JAMES LEESON,
    • WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE ON
    • THE 28TH DAY OF SEPTEMBER, 1794,
    • AGED 38 YEARS.
    • IN MEMORY OF
    • MICHAEL CRESAP
    • FIRST CAPTAIN OF THE
    • RIFLE BATTALIONS
    • AND SON OF COLONEL THOMAS CRESAP
    • WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE
    • OCT. 18, A. D. 1775.
    • THE SITE OF
    • LIEUT. GOVE. DE LANCEY'S HOUSE,
    • LATER THE CITY HOTEL.
    • IT WAS HERE THAT THE NON-IMPORTATION
    • AGREEMENT, IN OPPOSITION TO THE STAMP
    • ACT, WAS SIGNED, OCT. 15TH, 1766. THE
    • TAVERN HAD MANY PROPRIETORS BY WHOSE
    • NAMES IT WAS SUCCESSIVELY CALLED. IT
    • WAS ALSO KNOWN AS THE PROVINCE ARMS, THE
    • CITY ARMS AND BURNS COFFEE HOUSE OR TAVERN.
    • TO MARK THE LANDING PLACE OF
    • GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON,
    • JUNE 25, 1775,
    • ON HIS WAY TO CAMBRIDGE
    • TO COMMAND
    • THE AMERICAN ARMY.
    • III
    • III
      • IN THIS VAULT LIES BURIED
        • PETRUS STUYVESANT,
        • LATE CAPTAIN-GENERAL AND GOVERNOR IN CHIEF
        • OF AMSTERDAM IN NEW NETHERLAND
        • NOW CALLED NEW YORK
        • AND THE DUTCH WEST INDIES, DIED IN A. D. 1671/2
        • AGED 80 YEARS.
        • ON THIS CORNER GREW
        • PETRUS STUYVESANT'S PEAR TREE
        • RECALLED TO HOLLAND IN 1664,
        • ON HIS RETURN
        • HE BROUGHT THE PEAR TREE
        • AND PLANTED IT
        • AS HIS MEMORIAL,
        • "BY WHICH," SAID HE, "MY NAME
        • MAY BE REMEMBERED."
        • THE PEAR TREE FLOURISHED
        • AND BORE FRUIT FOR OVER
        • TWO HUNDRED YEARS.
        • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE BY
        • THE HOLLAND SOCIETY
        • OF NEW YORK
        • SEPTEMBER, 1890.
        • GRAMERCY PARK
        • FOUNDED BY
        • SAMUEL B. RUGGLES
        • 1831
        • COMMEMORATED BY THIS TABLET
        • IMBEDDED IN
        • THE GRAMERCY FARM BY
        • JOHN RUGGLES STRONG.
        • 1875.
      • PETRUS STUYVESANT,
      • LATE CAPTAIN-GENERAL AND GOVERNOR IN CHIEF
      • OF AMSTERDAM IN NEW NETHERLAND
      • NOW CALLED NEW YORK
      • AND THE DUTCH WEST INDIES, DIED IN A. D. 1671/2
      • AGED 80 YEARS.
      • ON THIS CORNER GREW
      • PETRUS STUYVESANT'S PEAR TREE
      • RECALLED TO HOLLAND IN 1664,
      • ON HIS RETURN
      • HE BROUGHT THE PEAR TREE
      • AND PLANTED IT
      • AS HIS MEMORIAL,
      • "BY WHICH," SAID HE, "MY NAME
      • MAY BE REMEMBERED."
      • THE PEAR TREE FLOURISHED
      • AND BORE FRUIT FOR OVER
      • TWO HUNDRED YEARS.
      • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE BY
      • THE HOLLAND SOCIETY
      • OF NEW YORK
      • SEPTEMBER, 1890.
      • GRAMERCY PARK
      • FOUNDED BY
      • SAMUEL B. RUGGLES
      • 1831
      • COMMEMORATED BY THIS TABLET
      • IMBEDDED IN
      • THE GRAMERCY FARM BY
      • JOHN RUGGLES STRONG.
      • 1875.
    • IN THIS VAULT LIES BURIED
      • PETRUS STUYVESANT,
      • LATE CAPTAIN-GENERAL AND GOVERNOR IN CHIEF
      • OF AMSTERDAM IN NEW NETHERLAND
      • NOW CALLED NEW YORK
      • AND THE DUTCH WEST INDIES, DIED IN A. D. 1671/2
      • AGED 80 YEARS.
      • ON THIS CORNER GREW
      • PETRUS STUYVESANT'S PEAR TREE
      • RECALLED TO HOLLAND IN 1664,
      • ON HIS RETURN
      • HE BROUGHT THE PEAR TREE
      • AND PLANTED IT
      • AS HIS MEMORIAL,
      • "BY WHICH," SAID HE, "MY NAME
      • MAY BE REMEMBERED."
      • THE PEAR TREE FLOURISHED
      • AND BORE FRUIT FOR OVER
      • TWO HUNDRED YEARS.
      • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE BY
      • THE HOLLAND SOCIETY
      • OF NEW YORK
      • SEPTEMBER, 1890.
      • GRAMERCY PARK
      • FOUNDED BY
      • SAMUEL B. RUGGLES
      • 1831
      • COMMEMORATED BY THIS TABLET
      • IMBEDDED IN
      • THE GRAMERCY FARM BY
      • JOHN RUGGLES STRONG.
      • 1875.
    • PETRUS STUYVESANT,
    • LATE CAPTAIN-GENERAL AND GOVERNOR IN CHIEF
    • OF AMSTERDAM IN NEW NETHERLAND
    • NOW CALLED NEW YORK
    • AND THE DUTCH WEST INDIES, DIED IN A. D. 1671/2
    • AGED 80 YEARS.
    • ON THIS CORNER GREW
    • PETRUS STUYVESANT'S PEAR TREE
    • RECALLED TO HOLLAND IN 1664,
    • ON HIS RETURN
    • HE BROUGHT THE PEAR TREE
    • AND PLANTED IT
    • AS HIS MEMORIAL,
    • "BY WHICH," SAID HE, "MY NAME
    • MAY BE REMEMBERED."
    • THE PEAR TREE FLOURISHED
    • AND BORE FRUIT FOR OVER
    • TWO HUNDRED YEARS.
    • THIS TABLET IS PLACED HERE BY
    • THE HOLLAND SOCIETY
    • OF NEW YORK
    • SEPTEMBER, 1890.
    • GRAMERCY PARK
    • FOUNDED BY
    • SAMUEL B. RUGGLES
    • 1831
    • COMMEMORATED BY THIS TABLET
    • IMBEDDED IN
    • THE GRAMERCY FARM BY
    • JOHN RUGGLES STRONG.
    • 1875.
    • INDEX
    • INDEX
The book hasn't received reviews yet.
You May Also Like
Also Available On
Categories
Curated Lists