The Seventh Regiment A Record
By George L. Wood
Table of Contents
- THE SEVENTH REGIMENT: A RECORD.
- AUTHOR'S PREFACE.
- CHAPTER I. The fall of Sumter. — Civil war begun. — Preparations by the South. — Nobility.
- CHAPTER II. The President's call for troops. — Organization of the Seventh. — Its departure for Camp Dennison. — Its reorganization and departure for the field.
- CHAPTER III. The pursuit of General Wise. — Tyler ordered to menace Gauley Bridge and threaten Wise's communications.
- CHAPTER IV. The skirmish at Cross Lanes. — Gallant conduct and final escape of the Seventh Regiment.
- CHAPTER V. Reflections on the Skirmish at Cross Lanes. — Battle of Carnifex Ferry.
- CHAPTER VI. Charleston and the Kanawha Valley. — A double murder. — Colonel Tyler assumes command of the post.
- CHAPTER VII. Floyd establishes batteries on Cotton Hill. — Driven off by the forces of general Cox. — Benham's failure to intercept his retreat. — His pursuit. — Skirmish at McCoy's Mills. — His final escape.
- CHAPTER VIII. Reflections on the Institution of Slavery.
- CHAPTER IX. The Seventh ordered to the East. — Expedition to Blue's Gap. — Skirmish on the Blooming pike.
- CHAPTER X. Gallantry of Lieutenant O'Brien. — Death of General Lander. — The Seventh escort his remains. — The occupation of Winchester.
- CHAPTER XI. A Reconnoissance to Strasburg. — Battle of Winchester. — Utter defeat and rout of Jackson's army.
- CHAPTER XII. General Shields' anxiety for laurels. — Summing up of the battle. — Losses in the Seventh.
- CHAPTER XIII. Pursuit of Jackson up the Valley. — March to Fredericksburg, and return to Front Royal.
- CHAPTER XIV. The march on Waynesboro'. — Two brigades encounter Jackson at Port Republic, and after five hours' fighting are compelled to fall back.
- CHAPTER XV. Battle of Cedar Mountain. — Gallantry of the regiment, and terrible loss.
- CHAPTER XVI. The regiment goes into camp at Alexandria, but is soon ordered to the front. — Battle of Antietam.
- CHAPTER XVII. The march to Dumfries. — Skirmish with Hampton's cavalry, in which they are badly defeated by a much inferior force.
- CHAPTER XVIII. The regiment ordered to the front. — Battle of Chancellorsville.
- CHAPTER XIX. Accompanies the grand army into Pennsylvania. — Battle of Gettysburg.
- CHAPTER XX. After reaching the Rapidan it goes to Governor's Island. — After its return it accompanies Hooker's corps to the Western department.
- CHAPTER XXI. The Seventh joins Grant's army. — The battles of Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, and Ringgold.
- CHAPTER XXII. The advance towards Atlanta. — Skirmishing. — Homeward march. — Its reception. — Muster out.
- BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
- OUR DEAD.
Also Available On
Arts & Photography491Biographies & Memoirs82Business & Money158Children's Books1576Christian Books & Bibles952Comics & Graphic Novels1Computers & Technology874Cookbooks, Food & Wine31Crafts, Hobbies & Home208Education & Teaching3838Engineering & Transportation1Gay & Lesbian1Health, Fitness & Dieting17History5851Humor & Entertainment162Law153Literature & Fiction19803Medical Books1Mystery, Thriller & Suspense21Other3133Parenting & Relationships10Politics & Social Sciences1474Professional & Technical38Reference10Religion & Spirituality1717Romance269Science & Math1219Science Fiction & Fantasy205Self-Help51Sports & Outdoors47Teen & Young Adult138Test Preparation169Travel114
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
- by Christopher M. Bishop
- Data mining
- by I. H. Witten
- The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
- by Various
- CK-12 Chemistry
- by Various
- Concept Development Studies in Chemistry
- by John Hutchinson
- An Introduction to Chemistry - Atoms First
- by Mark Bishop
- Microsoft Word - How to Use Advanced Algebra II.doc
- by Jonathan Emmons
- Advanced Algebra II: Activities and Homework
- by Kenny Felder
- The Sun Who Lost His Way
- Tania is a Detective
- by Kanika G
- Java 3D Programming
- by Daniel Selman
- The Java EE 6 Tutorial
- by Oracle Corporation
- Jamaica Primary Social Studies 2nd Edition Student's Book 4
- by Eulie Mantock, Trineta Fendall, Clare Eastland
- Reggae Readers Student's Book 1
- by Louis Fidge
- Reggae Readers Student's Book 2
- by Louis Fidge