A New Century of Inventions Being Designs & Descriptions of One Hundred Machines, relating to Arts, Manufactures, & Domestic Life
By James White
Table of Contents
- A NEW CENTURY OF INVENTIONS, BEING Designs & Descriptions OF ONE HUNDRED MACHINES, RELATING TO ARTS, MANUFACTURES, & DOMESTIC LIFE.
- PART FIRST.
- A DYNAMOMETER; OR, Machine for measuring Power and resistance while in Motion.
- OF A NEW KIND OF BARREL SPRING, To lengthen the going of Clocks, Jacks, &c.
- OF A PARALLEL MOTION, Being a combination of the Crank with the Epicycloid.
- OF A SYSTEM OF CONCENTRIC PULLEYS, Already known as White’s Patent Pulleys.
- OF A POWER-WHEEL, Turned by heated Air, Gas, &c.
- OF AN EQUABLE PUMP, Or Machine for raising Water without interruption or concussion.
- OF A SIMPLE MACHINE, For Protracting the Motions of Weight-Machinery.
- OF AN INSTRUMENT For drawing Portions of Circles, and finding their Centres by inspection.
- OF AN INCLINED HORSE WHEEL, Intended to save room and gain speed.
- OF A DIFFERENTIAL COMBINATION OF WHEELS, To count very high numbers, or gain immense power.
- OF A CRANE, Which combines VARIABLE POWERS with speed and safety.
- OF A DIRECT AND DIFFERENTIAL PRESS, With two Powers: of which ONE immense.
- OF A PERISTALTIC MACHINE, For raising much Water to small heights.
- OF A DRAYMAN’S CANTER, Or inclined Plane with increased Power.
- OF A PERPETUAL WEDGE MACHINE, Being a simple Method of gaining Power.
- OF A DROPPING-WEIGHT-MOVER; Or Machine for lengthening the Time of going of a Clock, Jack, or other Weight-Machine.
- OF A MACHINE, To promote Evaporation, with or without Heat.
- OF A CUTTING OR GRATING MACHINE, For Green Roots, Tobacco, &c.
- OF A SCREW, With greatly diminished Friction.
- OF A SIMPLE AND POWERFUL MICROMETER.
- SYNOPSIS, (IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER) OF THE CENTURY OF INVENTIONS COMPOSING THIS WORK.
- PART SECOND.
- MEMOIR ON A NEW SYSTEM OF COG OR TOOTHED WHEELS,
- OF THE CUTTING ENGINE, To form Spur-wheels, on my late Patent principle.
- OF A DOOR-SPRING, To keep a Door strongly closed, yet suffer it to be opened easily.
- OF A DRAW-BENCH, For making my twisted Pinions.
- OF A GEERING CHAIN, Formed to work in the Patent Wheels.
- OF A SERPENTINE BOAT OR VESSEL, To lessen the Expence of Traction, &c.
- OF A MACHINE For destroying, or lessening Friction.
- OF A SECOND MACHINE, To avoid or diminish Friction.
- OF AN EQUILIBRIUM COCK, To prevent abrasion and leakage.
- OF A MACHINE To communicate and suspend Motion.
- OF A MACHINE To set on, and suspend, rapid Motions.
- OF A MACHINE For forging Screws, Beads, &c.
- OF A DIFFERENTIAL STEEL-YARD, To weigh vast Weights with short Levers.
- OF A RETROGRAPH, Or a Machine to write backwards, for Engravers.
- OF AN EYE MACHINE, Or Machine for making the Eyes of Hooks and Eyes.
- OF A VENTILATOR, Rotatory yet by pressure.
- OF A COMBINATION OF WHEELS To raise Water.
- OF AN ECCENTRIC BAR PRESS, For clearing wetted goods of Water.
- OF A COLOUR MILL, For Calico Printers.
- OF A DYNAMOMETER, Or a second Machine to measure power & resistance in motion.
- PART THIRD.
- OF A PUNCH MACHINE, For Engravers to Calico Printers.
- OF A DIFFERENTIAL PUNCH MACHINE For Engravers.
- OF A MACHINE For Moulding Nails.
- OF A FIRE ENGINE Giving Power, while heating Rooms, Liquids, &c.
- OF A ROTATO-GYRATORY CHURN.
- OF A HELICO-CENTRIFUGAL MACHINE, For raising Water in great quantities.
- OF A FORGING MACHINE, For Bar Iron, Steel, &c. square or figured.
- OF A RECIPROCATING HORSE WHEEL, For Mines, Mangles, &c.
- OF AN EXPANDING VESSEL, For Steam Engines, Pumps, Blowing Machines, &c.
- OF A GOVERNOR, OR REGULATOR, For Wind-Mills, Water Mills, Steam Engines, &c.
- OF A MACHINE For Forging Nails.
- OF A MECHANICAL ASSISTANT For the Tea Table.
- OF A COPPER-PLATE PRESS, With curious and useful Properties.
- OF A REFLECTOR For Lighthouses, &c.
- OF A LONG PARALLEL MOTION, For Mangles, and other Reciprocating Machines.
- OF A MECHANICAL SYPHON: Which expels Part of it’s Water at the upper Level.
- OF A FORCING MACHINE, For taking on and off the Cylinders of Calico Printers.
- OF A SYSTEM OF MACHINERY, For cutting and trying Tallow by Power.
- OF A WASHING MACHINE, FOR HOSPITALS, Which confines the offensive Matter till cleansed away.
- OF A MACHINE, For propelling Boats, on narrow Canals, without disturbing the Water.
- OF A MACHINE, For working, swiftly, the Slide-valves of Steam-engines.
- PART FOURTH.
- OF A CUTTING ENGINE, For large Bevil Wheels and Models, on the Patent Principle.
- OF A CENTRIFUGAL DASH-WHEEL, For Bleachers, Dyers, &c.
- OF AN HYDRAULIC LAMP For the Table.
- OF A MECHANICAL ESSAY, To derive Power from expanding Metals.
- OF A MACHINE, For Making Laces, Covering Whips, &c.
- OF A BATTING MACHINE, For Cotton, or FINE Filaments in general.
- OF A HORIZONTAL WIND MACHINE, For raising Water in large quantities.
- OF A FLAX-BREAKING MACHINE.
- OF A BOWKING MACHINE, To accelerate and equalize that process.
- OF A PRINTING MACHINE, For two Colours.
- OF A MACHINE For clearing turbid Liquors.
- OF OPEN CANALS, As Hydraulic Machines.
- OF A PORTABLE ENGINE, For extinguishing Fires.
- OF A WIND MILL, With double Power.
- OF A WATCH ENGINE, To extinguish incipient Fires.
- OF A MACHINE For Engraving the Cylinders of Calico Printers by Power.
- OF A HORIZONTAL WATER WHEEL, Probably the best of the impulsive kind.
- OF A NEW SPINNING MACHINE, Called, and being the Patent Eagle.
- OF A SECOND SPINNING MACHINE, Adapted principally to Wool.
- OF MY PARALLEL MOTION, As applied to HEAVY Steam Engines.
- PART FIFTH.
- OF AN ADDING MACHINE, Or Machine to Cast up large Columns of Figures.
- OF A ROTATORY PUNCH MACHINE Adapted to my own Engraving Machine.
- OF A PORTABLE PUMP, To be worked by the Feet.
- OF THE BISECTING COMPASSES.
- OF A MUSICIAN’S PITCH-FORK, With variable Tones.
- OF AN ESSAY, To obtain a Level at Sea.
- OF A SECOND ESSAY, To procure a Marine Level.
- OF A FIRE-ESCAPE, On a retarding Principle.
- OF A SECOND FIRE-ESCAPE, By breaking the Fall.
- OF A ROTATORY CHOCOLATE MILL.
- OF A ROTATORY MANGLE.
- OF A MACHINE, For driving the Shuttle of Power Looms.
- OF AN AIR PUMP, Or Essay towards completing the Vacuum.
- OF AN INCLINED WATER WHEEL.
- OF A VESSEL, To assist in taking Medicine, &c.
- OF AN AERO-HYDRAULIC MACHINE, For raising Water in large quantities.
- OF ANOTHER WIND MACHINE, Furnishing immense Powers.
- OF A CENTRIFUGAL MIRROR, To collect Solar heat.
- OF A SECOND MIRROR, For collecting the Sun’s rays.
- OF AN ENGRAVING MACHINE, For large Patterns.
- TABLE OF CONTENTS.
- ALPHABETICAL LIST OF SUBSCRIBERS.
- Transcriber’s Notes:
You May Also Like
Life Incidents, in Connection with the Great Advent Movement, as Illustrated by the Three Angels of Revelation XIV (Volume 1)
By James White
The Eighteen Christian Centuries
By James White
His Glorious Appearing
By James Springer White
Best Stories from the Best Book An Illustrated Bible Companion for the Home
By James Edson White
Captives Among the Indians
By Francesco Giuseppe Bressani, James Smith, Mary White Rowlandson, Mercy Harbison
Area Handbook for Albania
By James M. Moore, Eugene K. Keefe, Stephen Peters, William Giloane, Eston T. White, Sarah Jane Elpern
Also Available On
Arts & Photography486Biographies & Memoirs74Business & Money147Children's Books1473Christian Books & Bibles867Computers & Technology855Cookbooks, Food & Wine31Crafts, Hobbies & Home204Education & Teaching3692Health, Fitness & Dieting12History5781Humor & Entertainment161Law143Literature & Fiction19723Medical Books1Mystery, Thriller & Suspense20Other3114Parenting & Relationships7Politics & Social Sciences1456Professional & Technical36Reference8Religion & Spirituality1642Romance238Science & Math1137Science Fiction & Fantasy204Self-Help50Sports & Outdoors45Teen & Young Adult127Test Preparation93Travel112
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
- by Christopher M. Bishop
- Data mining
- by I. H. Witten
- The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
- by Various
- CK-12 Chemistry
- by Various
- Concept Development Studies in Chemistry
- by John Hutchinson
- An Introduction to Chemistry - Atoms First
- by Mark Bishop
- Microsoft Word - How to Use Advanced Algebra II.doc
- by Jonathan Emmons
- Advanced Algebra II: Activities and Homework
- by Kenny Felder
- The Sun Who Lost His Way
- Tania is a Detective
- by Kanika G
- Java 3D Programming
- by Daniel Selman
- The Java EE 6 Tutorial
- by Oracle Corporation