The metal monster
Abraham Merritt (1884-1943), who published under the byline A. Merritt, was an American editor and author of works of fantastic fiction. Originally trained in law, he turned to journalism, first as a correspondent, and later as editor. He was assistant editor of The American Weekly from 1912 to 1937 under Morrill Goddard, then its editor until his death. He was a major influence on H. P. Lovecraft, and highly esteemed by his friend and frequent collaborator Hannes Bok. Merritt's stories typically revolve around conventional pulp magazine themes: lost civilizations, hideous monsters, etc. His heroes are gallant Irishmen or Scandinavians, his villains treacherous Germans or Russians and his heroines often virginal, mysterious and scantily clad. What sets Merritt apart from the typical pulp author, however, is his lush, florid prose style and his exhaustive, at times exhausting, penchant for adjective-laden detail. His fondness for micro-description nicely complements the pointillistic style of Bok's illustrations. He wrote Through the Dragon Glass, and The People of the Pit (1917), The Moon Pool (1918), The Metal Monster (1920), and Three Lines of Old French.
- THE METAL MONSTER
- CHAPTER I. VALLEY OF THE BLUE POPPIES
- CHAPTER II. THE SIGIL ON THE ROCKS
- CHAPTER III. RUTH VENTNOR
- CHAPTER IV. METAL WITH A BRAIN
- CHAPTER V. THE SMITING THING
- CHAPTER VI. NORHALA OF THE LIGHTNINGS
- CHAPTER VII. THE SHAPES IN THE MIST
- Mutely we faced each other, white and wan in the ghostly light.
- CHAPTER VIII. THE DRUMS OF THUNDER
- CHAPTER IX. THE PORTAL OF FLAME
- CHAPTER X. "WITCH! GIVE BACK MY SISTER"
- CHAPTER XI. THE METAL EMPEROR
- CHAPTER XII. "I WILL GIVE YOU PEACE"
- CHAPTER XIII. "VOICE FROM THE VOID"
- CHAPTER XIV. "FREE! BUT A MONSTER!"
- CHAPTER XV. THE HOUSE OF NORHALA
- CHAPTER XVI. CONSCIOUS METAL!
- CHAPTER XVII. YURUK
- CHAPTER XVIII. INTO THE PIT
- CHAPTER XIX. THE CITY THAT WAS ALIVE
- CHAPTER XX. VAMPIRES OF THE SUN
- CHAPTER XXI. PHANTASMAGORIA METALLIOUE.
- CHAPTER XXII. THE ENSORCELLED CHAMBER
- CHAPTER XXIII. THE TREACHERY OF YURUK
- CHAPTER XXIV. RUSZARK
- CHAPTER XXV. CHERKIS
- CHAPTER XXVI. THE VENGEANCE OF NORHALA
- CHAPTER XXVII. "THE DRUMS OF DESTINY"
- CHAPTER XXVIII. THE FRENZY OF RUTH
- CHAPTER XXIX. THE PASSING OF NORHALA
- CHAPTER XXX. BURNED OUT
- CHAPTER XXXI. SLAG!
Free Machine Learning Books
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
- by Christopher M. Bishop
- Data mining
- by I. H. Witten
- The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
- by Various
Free Chemistry Textbooks
- CK-12 Chemistry
- by Various
- Chemistry Grade 10 [CAPS]
- by Free High School Science Texts Project
- General Chemistry II
- by John Hutchinson
Free Mathematics Textbooks
- Microsoft Word - How to Use Advanced Algebra II.doc
- by Jonathan Emmons
- Advanced Algebra II: Activities and Homework
- by Kenny Felder
Free Children Books
- The Sun Who Lost His Way
- Tania is a Detective
- by Kanika G
Free Java Books
- Java 3D Programming
- by Daniel Selman
- The Java EE 6 Tutorial
- by Oracle Corporation
- Jamaica Primary Social Studies 2nd Edition Student's Book 4
- by Eulie Mantock, Trineta Fendall, Clare Eastland
- Reggae Readers Student's Book 1
- by Louis Fidge
- Reggae Readers Student's Book 2
- by Louis Fidge