Tom Brown's School Days
Tom Brown's School Days (sometimes written Tom Brown's Schooldays, also published under the titles Tom Brown at Rugby, School Days at Rugby, and Tom Brown's School Days at Rugby) is an 1857 novel by Thomas Hughes. The story is set in the 1830s at Rugby School, a public school for boys. Hughes attended Rugby School from 1834 to 1842.
The novel was originally published as being "by an Old Boy of Rugby", and much of it is based on the author's experiences. Tom Brown is largely based on the author's brother George Hughes. George Arthur, another of the book's main characters, is generally believed to be based on Arthur Penrhyn Stanley. The fictional Tom's life also resembles the author's, in that the culminating event of his school career was a cricket match. The novel also features Dr Thomas Arnold (1795–1842), who was the actual headmaster of Rugby School from 1828 to 1841.
Tom Brown's School Days has been the source for several film and television adaptations. It also influenced the genre of British school novels, which began in the 19th century, and led to fictional depictions of schools such as Billy Bunter's Greyfriars School, Mr Chips' Brookfield, St. Trinian's, and Harry Potter's Hogwarts. A sequel, Tom Brown at Oxford, was published in 1861.
From Wikipedia (CC BY-SA).
- TOM BROWN'S SCHOOLDAYS
- PART I.
- CHAPTER I—THE BROWN FAMILY
- CHAPTER II—THE "VEAST."
- CHAPTER III—SUNDRY WARS AND ALLIANCES.
- CHAPTER IV—THE STAGE COACH.
- CHAPTER V—RUGBY AND FOOTBALL.
- CHAPTER VI—AFTER THE MATCH.
- CHAPTER VII—SETTLING TO THE COLLAR.
- CHAPTER VIII—THE WAR OF INDEPENDENCE.
- CHAPTER IX—A CHAPTER OF ACCIDENTS.
- PART II.
- CHAPTER I—HOW THE TIDE TURNED.
- CHAPTER II—THE NEW BOY.
- CHAPTER III—ARTHUR MAKES A FRIEND.
- CHAPTER IV—THE BIRD-FANCIERS.
- CHAPTER V—THE FIGHT:
- CHAPTER VI—FEVER IN THE SCHOOL.
- CHAPTER VII—HARRY EAST'S DILEMMAS AND DELIVERANCES.
- CHAPTER VIII—TOM BROWN'S LAST MATCH.
- CHAPTER IX—FINIS.
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
- by Christopher M. Bishop
- Data mining
- by I. H. Witten
- The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
- by Various
- CK-12 Chemistry
- by Various
- Concept Development Studies in Chemistry
- by John Hutchinson
- An Introduction to Chemistry - Atoms First
- by Mark Bishop
- Microsoft Word - How to Use Advanced Algebra II.doc
- by Jonathan Emmons
- Advanced Algebra II: Activities and Homework
- by Kenny Felder
- The Sun Who Lost His Way
- Tania is a Detective
- by Kanika G
- Java 3D Programming
- by Daniel Selman
- The Java EE 6 Tutorial
- by Oracle Corporation