A Defence of Virginia And Through Her, of the South, in Recent and Pending Contests Against the Sectional Party
By Robert L. Dabney
Table of Contents
- A DEFENCE OF VIRGINIA,
- CHAPTER I. INTRODUCTORY.
- CHAPTER II. THE AFRICAN SLAVE TRADE.
- CHAPTER III. LEGAL STATUS OF SLAVERY IN THE UNITED STATES.
- CHAPTER IV. HISTORY OF EMANCIPATION.
- CHAPTER V. THE OLD TESTAMENT ARGUMENT.
- § 2. The Curse upon Canaan.
- § 3. Abraham a Slaveholder.
- § 4. Hagar remanded to Slavery by God.
- § 5. Slavery in the Laws of Moses.
- § 6. Slavery in the Decalogue.
- § 7. Objections to the Old Testament Argument.
- CHAPTER VI. THE NEW TESTAMENT ARGUMENT.
- § 1. Definition of Δουλος.
- § 2. Slavery often mentioned; yet not condemned.
- § 3. Christ applauds a Slaveholder.
- § 4. The Apostles separate Slavery and its Abuses.
- § 5. Slavery no Essential Religious Evil.
- § 6. Slaveholders fully Admitted to Church-membership.
- § 7. Relative Duties of Masters and Slaves recognized.
- § 8. Philemon and Onesimus.
- § 8. St. Paul reprobates Abolitionists.
- § 9. The Golden Rule Compatible with Slavery.
- § 10. Was Christ Afraid to Condemn Slavery?
- CHAPTER VII. THE ETHICAL ARGUMENT.
- § 2. Misrepresentations Cleared.
- § 3. The Rights of Man and Slavery.
- § 4. Abolitionism is Jacobinism.
- § 5. Labour of another may be Property.
- § 6. The Slave Received due Wages.
- § 7. Effects of Slavery on Moral Character.
- § 8. Slavery and the African Slave Trade.
- § 9. The Morality of Slavery Vindicated by its Results.
- CHAPTER VIII. ECONOMICAL EFFECTS OF SLAVERY.
- § 1. Slavery and Republican Government.
- § 2. Slavery and Malthusianism.
- § 3. Comparative productiveness of Slave Labour.
- § 4. Effects of Slavery in the South, compared with those of Free Labour in the North.
- § 5. Effects of Slavery on Population, Disease, and Crime.
- CHAPTER IX. CONCLUSION.
- TRANSCRIBER'S NOTES:
You May Also Like
By Theodore Roosevelt
Indian Stories Retold From St. Nicholas
The United States and Latin America
By John Holladay Latané
The Highlands of Ethiopia
By Sir William Cornwallis Harris
Gallipoli Diary, Volume I
By Sir Ian Hamilton
The Conspiracy of Pontiac and the Indian War after the Conquest of Canada
By Francis Parkman
A Short History of English Liberalism
By W. Lyon (Walter Lyon) Blease
The Relations of the Federal Government to Slavery Delivered at Fort Wayne, Ind., October 30th 1860
By Joseph K. (Joseph Ketchum) Edgerton
Laurier: A Study in Canadian Politics
By John Wesley Dafoe
The Last Leaf Observations, during Seventy-Five Years, of Men and Events in America and Europe
By James Kendall Hosmer
Also Available On
Arts & Photography472Biographies & Memoirs70Business & Money64Children's Books318Christian Books & Bibles838Computers & Technology700Cookbooks, Food & Wine31Crafts, Hobbies & Home204Education & Teaching3616Health, Fitness & Dieting12History5744Humor & Entertainment160Law142Literature & Fiction19577Medical Books1Mystery, Thriller & Suspense17Other3103Parenting & Relationships2Politics & Social Sciences1369Professional & Technical11Reference7Religion & Spirituality1608Romance231Science & Math1097Science Fiction & Fantasy201Self-Help40Sports & Outdoors45Teen & Young Adult121Test Preparation31Travel112
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
- by Christopher M. Bishop
- Data mining
- by I. H. Witten
- The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
- by Various
- CK-12 Chemistry
- by Various
- Concept Development Studies in Chemistry
- by John Hutchinson
- An Introduction to Chemistry - Atoms First
- by Mark Bishop
- Microsoft Word - How to Use Advanced Algebra II.doc
- by Jonathan Emmons
- Advanced Algebra II: Activities and Homework
- by Kenny Felder
- The Sun Who Lost His Way
- Tania is a Detective
- by Kanika G
- Java 3D Programming
- by Daniel Selman
- The Java EE 6 Tutorial
- by Oracle Corporation