The Ship of Fools, Volume 1
By Sebastian Brant
Table of Contents
- THE SHIP OF FOOLS
- ALEXANDER BARCLAY
- EDINBURGH: WILLIAM PATERSON
- LONDON: HENRY SOTHERAN & CO.
- PREFATORY NOTE.
- Volume I.
- Notice of Barclay and his Writings
- Barclay's Will
- Bibliographical Catalogue of Barclay's Works
- The Ship of Fools
- Volume II.
- The Ship of Fools (concluded)
- Chapter I. of the Original (German), and of the Latin, and French Versions of the Ship of Fools
- Life and Writings of Alexander Barclay,
- the translator of brandt's ship of fools.
- ALEXANDER BARCLAY.
- THE WILL OF ALEXANDER BARCLAY.
- In the Prerogative Court of Canterbury.
- BIBLIOGRAPHICAL CATALOGUE
- BARCLAY'S WORKS.
- THE SHIP OF FOOLS.
- [VOLUME I.]
- Alexander Barclay excusynge the rudenes of his translacion.
- An exhortacion of Alexander Barclay.
- Barclay the translatour tho the Foles.
- [The Prologe of James Locher.]
- Here begynneth the prologe.
- [The Argument.]
- Here begynneth the foles and first inprofytable bokes.
- Of euyl Counsellours, Juges and men of lawe.
- Of Auaryce or Couetyse and prodygalyte.
- Of newe fassions and disgised Garmentes.
- Of old folys that is to say the longer they lyue the more they ar gyuen to foly.
- Of the erudicion of neglygent faders anenst theyr chyldren.
- Of tale berers, fals reporters, and prometers of stryfes.
- Of hym that wyll nat folowe nor ensue good counsell, and necessary.
- Of disordred and vngoodly maners.
- Of brekynge and hurtynge of amyte and frendshyp.
- Of contempt, or dispisynge of holy scripture.
- Of folys without prouysyon.
- Of disordred loue and veneryous.
- Of them yt synne trustynge vpon the mercy of god.
- Of the folisshe begynnynge of great bildynges without sufficient prouision.
- Of glotons and dronkardes.
- Of ryches vnprofytable.
- Of hym that togyder wyll serue two maysters.
- Of to moche spekynge or bablynge.
- Of them that correct other and yet them selfe do nought and synne worse than they whom they so correct.
- Of hym that fyndeth ought of another mannys it nat restorynge to the owner.
- Of the sermon or erudicion of wysdome bothe to wyse men and folys.
- Of bostynge or hauynge confydence in fortune.
- Of the ouer great and chargeable curyosyte of men.
- Of them that ar alway borowynge.
- Of inprofytable and vayne prayers vowes and peticyons.
- Of vnprofytable stody.
- Of them that folysshly speke agaynst the workes of god.
- Of them that gyue jugement on other.
- Of pluralitees that is to say of them whiche charge them selfe with many benefycis.
- Of them that prolonge from day to day to amende themselfe.
- Of hym that is Jelous ouer his wyfe and watcheth hir wayes without cause, or euydent tokyn of hir myslyuynge.
- Of auoutry, and specially of them yt ar bawdes to their wyues, knowynge and wyll nat knowe, but kepe counseyll, for couetyse, and gaynes or auauntage.
- Of hym that nought can and nought wyll lerne, and seyth moche, lytell berynge away, I mene nat theuys.
- Of great wrathe, procedynge of small occasyon.
- Of the mutabylyte of fortune.
- Of them that be diseasyd and seke and ar impacient and inobedyent to the Phesycyan.
- Of ouer open takynges of counsel.
- Of folys that can nat beware by the mysfortune and example of others damage.
- Of them that forceth or careth for the bacbytynge of lewde people.
- Of mockers, and scorners, and false accusers.
- Of them that dyspyse euerlastynge ioye, and settyth thynges transytory before thynges eternall and euerlastynge.
- Of them that make noyses rehersynges of talys and do other thynges vnlaufull and dishonest in ye chirche of god.
- Of them that wyllynge and knowyngly put them self in ieopardy and peryll.
- Of the way of felycyte and godnes, and of the payne to come vnto synners.
- Of the yll example of elders gyuyn vnto youth.
- Of bodely pleasour or corporall voluptuosyte
- Of folys that can nat kepe secrete theyr owne counsell.
- Of yonge folys that take olde wymen to theyr wyues, for theyr ryches.
- Of enuyous Folys.
- Of impacient Folys that wyll nat abyde correccion.
- Of folysshe Fesycyans and vnlerned that onely folowe paractyke knowynge nought of the speculacyon of theyr faculte.
- Of the ende of worldly honour and power and of Folys that trust therein.
- Of predestynacion.
- Of folys that forget them selfe and do another mannys besynes leuynge theyr owne vndone.
- Of the vyce of vnkyndnes.
- Of folys that stande so well in their owne conceyt that they thinke none so wyse, stronge, fayre, nor eloquent, as they ar themself.
- Of lepynges and dauncis and Folys that pas theyr tyme in suche vanyte.
- Of nyght watchers and beters of the stretes playnge by nyght on instrumentes and vsynge lyke Folyes whan tyme is to rest.
- Of folysshe beggers and of theyr vanytees.
You May Also Like
Index of the Project Gutenberg Works of Edward Sylvester Ellis
By Edward Sylvester Ellis
Index of the Project Gutenberg Works of Horatio Alger, Jr.
By Jr. Horatio Alger
By George O. (George Oliver) Smith
Stories by American Authors (Volume 4)
By John William De Forest, Nathaniel Parker Willis, H. C. (Henry Cuyler) Bunner, Mary Hallock Foote, Constance Fenimore Woolson
The Mystery of Murray Davenport: A Story of New York at the Present Day
By Robert Neilson Stephens
Christmas Tales and Christmas Verse
By Eugene Field
The Little Immigrant
By Eva Stern
The Riddle of the Mysterious Light
By Thomas W. Hanshew, Mary E. Hanshew
By W. Somerset (William Somerset) Maugham
Also Available On
Arts & Photography486Biographies & Memoirs78Business & Money151Children's Books1544Christian Books & Bibles930Computers & Technology859Cookbooks, Food & Wine31Crafts, Hobbies & Home205Education & Teaching3782Engineering & Transportation1Health, Fitness & Dieting13History5796Humor & Entertainment162Law147Literature & Fiction19767Medical Books1Mystery, Thriller & Suspense21Other3122Parenting & Relationships8Politics & Social Sciences1467Professional & Technical38Reference10Religion & Spirituality1692Romance240Science & Math1208Science Fiction & Fantasy205Self-Help51Sports & Outdoors47Teen & Young Adult135Test Preparation162Travel113
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (Information Science and Statistics)
- by Christopher M. Bishop
- Data mining
- by I. H. Witten
- The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
- by Various
- CK-12 Chemistry
- by Various
- Concept Development Studies in Chemistry
- by John Hutchinson
- An Introduction to Chemistry - Atoms First
- by Mark Bishop
- Microsoft Word - How to Use Advanced Algebra II.doc
- by Jonathan Emmons
- Advanced Algebra II: Activities and Homework
- by Kenny Felder
- The Sun Who Lost His Way
- Tania is a Detective
- by Kanika G
- Java 3D Programming
- by Daniel Selman
- The Java EE 6 Tutorial
- by Oracle Corporation
- Jamaica Primary Social Studies 2nd Edition Student's Book 4
- by Eulie Mantock, Trineta Fendall, Clare Eastland
- Reggae Readers Student's Book 1
- by Louis Fidge
- Reggae Readers Student's Book 2
- by Louis Fidge