For over 500 years, Jamaica has emerged a great nation with a history that has intrigued the world.
‘Shining Through’ has documented this compelling saga of Jamaica in its challenges and its victories.
The book takes you through milestone events such as Slavery, Emancipation, Colonial Government, Independence and Post-Independence. It provides status reports on important sectors:--Education, Business, The Arts (Art, Culture, Music), Foreign Policy, Gender, Religion, Information and Technology, Film, Freedom of Expression, and an illustrious Sporting Legacy.
Embedded in this story is the resilience of the Jamaican people. Colourful and a significant resource centre.
..A Collector's dream!
- COVER PAGE
- TITLE PAGE
- COPYRIGHT PAGE
- TABLE OF CONTENTS
- HISTORY IN THE MAKING
- A Story of Resistance and Change
- Fifty Years of Social, Economic and Political Challenges
- • Social Awakening
- • Economic Rebuilding
- • Facing the Global Market
- • Sports and Culture
- WOMEN REACHING FOR THEIR DESTINY
- IMPORTANT FREEDOMS
- • Religious Freedom
- • Press Freedom
- • Freedom of Expression in Columns, Comedy and Cartoons
- ZONES OF EXCELLENCE
- • Tertiary Education
- • Norman Manley Law School
- • Jamaican Art Scene
- • The Urban Development Corporation
- • Dancing to Freedom
- • Film…No Longer Fledgling
- • The Impact of Jamaica’s Culture on the World
- POSITIONING FOR THE WORLD
- • A Progressive Foreign Policy
- • The information, Communications and Technology sector
- • National Housing Trust
- • The Business Sector - Blue Chip Companies
- MEMORABLE JAMAICANS
- AN ILLUSTRIOUS SPORTING LEGACY
- OUR PARKS AND MUSEUMS
- CULINARY DELIGHTS
- WHERE GIANTS SLEEP