There have been many great and enduring works of literature by Caribbean authors over the last century. The Caribbean Contemporary Classics collection celebrates these deep and vibrant stories, overflowing with life and acute observations about society.
Sunrise Orphanage is a happy place until the great sickness comes to the country, when the ten orphan children are left to fend for themselves. Normal life breaks down, and people do what they can to survive. Threatened with being taken to a labour camp, the children's only alternative is a perilous journey across the island. Sanctuary awaits them at Last Man Peak, but will they be able to reach it? Unforeseen danger waits at every turn. No one can be trusted. The arduous trek would be challenging enough even without the need to avoid capture - capture which would mean the labour camp, or possibly something much worse. The journey, with only their wits and courage to help them, will change their lives for ever.
Suitable for readers aged 11 and above.
- Book title
- Chapter 1 The journey starts
- Chapter 2 Bess
- Chapter 3 Danger in the hills
- Chapter 4 Mount Diablo
- Chapter 5 The lakes of Moneague
- Chapter 6 The House in the Valley
- Chapter 7 Isaiah the Prophet
- Chapter 8 Good Friends and Neighbours
- Chapter 9 A Mighty Long Way to Go
- Chapter 10 Gerald has a Plan
- Chapter 11 Christmas at Last Man Peak